Subject: Re: [Leica] McCurry's Afghan Girl [OT]
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:18:11 -0800

Gary Elshaw wrote:
>>> Oh, it's definitely her, I laughed out loud at the scans they did of her
> eyes, I wouldn't have thought there needed to be scientific veracity on
> that, but there you go.<<<

Hi Gary,
Now that's a frightening experience to say the least! We've just finished
flat bed scanning prints of me at 21 as an officer cadet in the Canadian
army COTC. One, me standing beside a Staghound armoured car and it's like,
"Who the hell is that skinny kid in fatigues?"

Then look in the mirror, scares the hell out of you!  :-( Trust me don't do
it first thing in the morning, could ruin your whole day creating a shaking
hand that even your Leica at 1/1000 couldn't stop. ;-)

Like many of you folks I had some doubts at first look, but it's a tough
call from the screen or printed page. But I'm with the same girl, as living
under the conditions she has since the first picture is going to "harden and
age" the look of any woman.

Maybe I as some of you have over the years when seeing the picture, wondered
where she was and now here she is. Actually, if hostilities had never
started she'd still be roaming the countryside with her husband and
children.

Now is she going to be turned into some kind of celebrity and spoiled by the
western world attention and when they've tired of her, dump her back on the
countryside?

Sorry this thread is going way off Leica and finding a person.
ted