Subject: [Leica] Noctliux Depth of Field Scale
From: Ken Lassiter <kenlass@gate.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:46:08 -0500

Ted is right.  Basically, you have no depth of field at f/1.0.

My practice is to bracket for depth of field.  When shooting at f/1.0, I
do this by moving my head forward slightly then back slightly, shooting
3 frames quickly.  Try it.  It is easy.

If you really want to have this info, you can contact Leica in NJ and
they have a great publication with depth of field tables for all
lenses.  It shows that for the Noctilux at f/1.0:

The hypofocal distance is 81.17 metres or about 266 feet.  Focus at
Infinity and your depth is from 266 feet to Infinity.  Focus at 81.17
metres and your depth of field is from 133 feet (40.6 metres) to
Infinity.

At a distance of 1.0 metres, or 3.28 feet,  the depth of field is from
0.99 to 1.01 metres or about 3/4 inch.  See Ted is right!

Ken Lassiter
Boynton Beach, FL

Replies: Reply from "Karina Klaas" <shutterbug@iinet.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Noctliux Depth of Field Scale)