Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Wandering: Motor Scooters
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:17:27 +0100

Bob,

You have already gotten a lot of advice, most of which falls in the category
that you must be suicidal to consider motorized two-wheel transportation. Some
of it has been more useful and I agree with those who said that a proper
motorcycle handles better and is basically safer than a scooter. If you do
decide for a scooter, then definitiely go for one of the models with relatively
large wheels, but if I were you I would take a hard look at a small motorcycle,
in the 125cc or 250cc class. It will have plenty enough power for the kind of
riding you describe and will be much better handling and safety-wise than a
Vespa. Any of the major Japanese brands would be fine.

Regardless of what you decide, I urge you to take one of the Motorcycle Safety
Foundation rider courses. Also consider getting a subscription to Motorcycle
Consumer News (www.mcn.com) which is totally unlike any of the other motorcycle
mags in that it carries no advertising, is therefore totally objective, and has
a wealth of useful articles focusing on safety, riding techniques, insurance,
repair costs and other real-world issues. No half-naked blondes sprawled on
Harleys in that magazine.

Finally the issue of risk. No doubt riding a scooter or motorcycle is more
dangerous than driving a car. But it is equally true that you can do a lot to
reduce the risks by getting appropriate training, riding defensively, riding
sober, wearing high-visibility apparel, wearing proper riding gear etc. I
always enjoy the sight of a pretty girl in a short skirt riding her Vespa in
Italy or Spain, but I also shudder to think of what would happen to those
pretty legs in even a minor spill. Likewise, I always wonder about whether the
owners of the bikes I see parked outside our local lakeside bar on a nice
summer evening are inside drinking coffee or Coca-Cola...I don't think so,
unfortunately. A very high proportion of motorcycle fatalities involves alcohol
or drugs, much higher than in the case of car fatalities. The point is that to
a large extent, you can influence how dangerous riding really is.

Feel free to ask any questions off-list.

Kind regards,
Nathan

BOB KRAMER wrote:

> Please pardon the off topic question here but I would appreciate some
> advice, particularly from you Europeans.  Growing weary of my 15 year old
> car, and not being able to afford a new one, I am considering a motor
> scooter.  Would work great for zipping around the neighborhood, and even to
> work in nice weather.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland