Subject: [Leica] Paris photo show
From: "Steve Unsworth" <mail@steveunsworth.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:42:43 +0100

I went to the Paris photo show yesterday with fellow LUGer Jeff 'the Kiwi'.

I guess the two stands that interested me the most were the Leica and the
Voigtlander. On the Leica stand, the M7 felt just like a M6. The shutter was
very quiet, especially on the slower shutter speeds. I had wanted to try the
1.5x magnifier but they didn't have one. Heck if _Leica_ can't get hold of
them what chance have we got ;-)

Tried an R8. What a nice camera. The body had always looked too big, but the
R8 users are right, holding it, it felt just right. And the viewfinder,
very, very good - extremely bright. I'd buy one if I needed an SLR.

If you are one of those people who thought the new digital camera looked
ugly in the ads, you are not going to have your opinion changed when you see
it in the flesh. Personally it doesn't bother me, but then I'm not looking
for a digital camera at the moment.

Voigtlander - the R2 was the camera that was interesting me. I'd taken the
Nocti along to see if it would block the rangefinder window - I realise that
this is not an ideal combination given the R2's short rangefinder base but
it's the biggest lens that I have. Answer, the rangefinder still works. No
problems focussing.

Interestingly the rep on the Voigtlander stand just wanted to hold the
Nocti. I got the impression he was a real enthusiast not just a salesman
(and he was a Summilux owner!). He was also hinting that the collapsible
Elmar, sorry Heliar, would be available as a separate item not just as part
of a kit with the T body.

Steve