Subject: [Leica] RE:LA LUG Goes to ChinaTown
From: John Bohner <johnbohner@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:30:03 -0800

First: Thanks to Frank and Be for getting us off our behinds and out
shooting. Despite a late-ish arrivial my friend and I had a very very nice
time.  Reading Terry's comments I felt inclined to both agree and disagree
with him. Keep in mind the Chinese tendency to seperate face or front from
substance.  My eye was similarly challenged to find what may or may not be
7,8 or 9 class images. But after awhile I began to see things differenctly.
 Yes, many of the buildings are in need of love and care but I found a
special flavor to the place that I don't have at the beach and that was
just fine.  We made friends with a local portrait artist who insisted that
as fellow artists we should have our faces drawn for free, or $3 or $2
instead of the $20 he usually askes.  After he drew us, we photographed him
promising some prints through the mail.  Our new friend then insisted on
introducting us to his son and wife and daughter and their shops.  Part
sales, part friendship through artistry and fully enthusiastic we had a
good time.  We also took in some of the high end art galleries noting that
you could easily spot the gallery people in a crowd.  I have vowed to go
back and try and shoot some informal portraits of the the artists.
Unfortunately I got called back to work so we missed the Dim Sum lunch with
the rest of the LAluggers.  But we WERE smart enough to grab a pile of
pastries for lunch which were great! And to set the record straight, I used
an R8 which had no problems with missaligned frame lines or range finder
calibration or finder flare or trouble loading film or hood problems or bad
electronics or anything else.  All the goofed pictures will be MY fault,
not Leica's
John B
reworking his PAW at
http://home.earthlink.net/~johnbohner/analog/paw/index.htm
PS many digests are crashing my Eudora, any one know why?