Subject: Re: [Leica] David Bailey -- a dissenting voice
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:07:41 -0800

>I wonder how much of the attraction we feel for Bailey is due to the fact
>that he got to photograph some of the icons of the 60s like the Rolling
>Stones up close and in person? In other words, would his pictures be
>equally interesting if they had to be judged on their merits rather than on
>their historical interest? I am not sure myself. I have not seen this
>particular book but have seen a lot of his work, particularly in the
>British photo mags that continue to hype people like Bailey and Lichfield.
>
>Nathan

This is a good question, but is not limited to those who photograph
celebrities. For example, could we not ask the same question of war
photogs, whose subject matter cannot not effect us? Or those who photograph
tragedies of whatever type: starving children, fleeing refugies,
concentration camp victims, suvivors of the 9/11 attack, etc.? A lot of the
images published in Life magazine were pretty humdrum, but moved millions
for what they depicted.

Seems to me that certain types of photography - by virtue of their subject
matter - will almost certainly move us, whether the photographs themselves
are well done or not. Think of Capa's shots of the Normandy landing,
"spoiled," he felt, by an overeager lab assistant who destroyed many of the
shots and melted the emulsion of others by overdrying them with a hair
dryer. They're still devasting images, among the most powerful war photos
that I have ever seen.

Sometimes the subject matter is more potent than the image that conveys it.

Guy