Subject: Re: [Leica] PAM Britar
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:46:18 -0800 (PST)

- --- Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> wrote:
> I recently picked up a lot of Leica gear on e-Bay.  Among
> this stuff was a
> 4.5/105mm PAM Britar, a rather mysterious US-made LTM
> lens about which very
> little is know.  With the lens came its 4" auxiliary
> viewfinder, in box --
> and, on the box, it identified the manufacturer as
> "Photographic Arts
> Manufacturing Corporation, 45 West 19th Street, New York,
> New York".  I've
> never heard of this company before but it IS nice to have
> the "PAM"
> decyphered.  Bob Pins has long opined that the Britar was
> to be the
> long-focus lens for the civilian Kardon camera, and this
> is made a bit more
> likely by the box's inscription "Leica or Kardon".
>
> Does anyone else know anything else about this company or
> any other
> products it might have made?
>
> Marc

    If you know the aproximate time frame, you might be
able to find more info from a manufactureres directory.  If
you are lucky, a New York library or manufacturers
association might have the old directories, or perhaps have
them on microfilm.
    The other alternative would be to research back issues
of photography magazines from the period.