Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mmDR Summicron for M6
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:06:41 EST

In a message dated 3/19/02 3:47:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com writes:

> I have been using a 50mm DR lens on a current version M6TTL with no
>  problems.
>
>  But, I read in a article in the Viewfinder (about two issues ago) that you
>  must mount it with the lens set on infinity in order not to damage the cam.
>
>  I also do not use the lens in the close focus mode or mount the eyes, so
>  that may be a problem as well on a current M6TTL.

Prior to buying my first M6 in the mid-80s, I wrote Wetzlar precisely because
I was concerned about using the DR Summicron on this camera, not only because
of the rangefinder cam but also because of the possibility of intruding on
the "line-of-sight" between the meter cell (probe) and the silver spot on the
shutter curtain.

Here is what E. Kuhne of Leitz/Wetzlar wrote me in response on 14 January
1986:

"We have checked our drawings and also practically tested the lens on the
camera and can assure you that the dual range SUMMICRON can be used without
any restrictions or damage to the metering probe on the LEICA M6.

"This can also be checked by yourself by setting the shutter speed at 'B' and
keeping the button pressed so that the shutter curtain is open, and with the
camera back open you can see that there is still a distance between the
metering probe and the focussing cam at the infinity setting [that is the
rearmost position of the lens]."

I have had absolutely no problem with this lens on a classic M6 and the DR
viewfinder "eyes" fit on the classic M6 though I have used them very rarely.
I believe the lens can be used with the same equanimity on the TTL M6 but it
cannot be used in the close-up mode with the "eyes" because the TTL topplate
is slightly higher and will not permit the "eyes" to attach properly to the
lens. Don't try to force it, you'll scratch or damage something.

Seth       LaK 9