Subject: RE: [Leica] Keepers [was: David Bailey...]
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:37:55 -0500

Yes, Bob - I do have a point. The Legend of HCB and the Decisive Moment has
him either strolling along, or sipping his cafe at a cafe, spotting the
image of all images, whipping his IIIg to his eye, clicking, and resuming
his watching. The reality, as seen in the documentary about him, and as seen
on his contact sheets, is that, like the rest of us human beings, he spotted
something and then shot and shot and shot and shot. More like the Decisive
Photo Shoot than the Decisive Moment. That the "keeper" that emerged from
such shooting was, in most cases, far beyond what any of us would ever
manage is without dispute - the man was a truly amazing photographic artist.
But the purported methodology is apparently urban legend.

That's my point.

B. D.