Subject: Re: [Leica] Keepers [was: David Bailey...]
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:16:48 -0500

on 3/20/02 4:20 PM, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:
> And, the issue/question isn't whether the average person thinks that HCB took
ONLY those iconic images, but rather, whether they think that he produced
those iconic images by producing only a frame or two of film. Of course we
will never agree on this, but I believe that most people who are vaguely
aware of HCB and his association with the "Decisive Moment" indeed believe
that he saw it! Snapped it! and moved on. Interesting, isn't it, that he
didn't coin the phrase "The Decisive MomentS," or "The Decisive Five
Minutes," or the "Decisive Image." It's "THE decisive MOMENT." And it is a
bit of a crock.

B.D.,

Not to nit pick; however, each iconic image in the body of work produced by
HCB is a ³Decisive moment², even if he spent hours capturing that image.  I
do not believe this is a semantic exercise but just the nature of the art
form/communication media.  The individual frame that expresses the concept
envisioned by the photographer is a moment in time, different from the one
before it and the following.

If your point is that people viewing the work do not understand the
selective nature of image capture and reproduction then I agree with you;
however, if you are saying the marketing language created around HCB is
inaccurate or misleading then I would differ.

I do not think the puddle jumper repeated the leaps for HCB until the
³Decisive Moment² was achieved with the creation of an icon. But I do
believe that HCB spent time around the puddle, the aftermath of rainstorm
until he captured some form of image that satisfied some process.  In other
photographs I would expect to see several less successful attempts
surrounding the iconic image we are familiar with.  Still the single image
that completes the visual expression is a ³Decisive Moment².

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander