Subject: RE: [Leica] David Bailey (slight return)
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:07:56 -0800

>Not having seen your post, Guy, I just asked the HCB question as a way of
>point out the meaningless of such labels and statements. HOWEVER...
>While Salgado is one of my all-time favorites, I can see how someone might
>apply the "g" label to some of his prints. I think they work. They are
>stunning. But some of them are...well...garish. But it has nothing to do
>with being European - because as far as I know, Brazil isn't part of the EU
>yet.;-) (Although I assume his work is printed in Paris as I believe he is
>based there.)
>B. D.

Agreed. Some of Salgado's stuff *is* garish, but then again so is some of
Ralph Gibson's, whose work I love, though he's no more European than
Salgado, though both do spend an awful lot of time in Paris (and, yes,
Salgado is based there and his printer is French)...

To label printing style X "European" or "American" seems to me an
oversimplification, as there are just too many people in both places doing
too many different things to be grouped together in that way, as the list
of names suggests, I hope.

Guy