Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's new models
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:57:29 -0800

The ASA/DX design does at first seem like it will be a problem, but it does
seem pretty resistant to moving unless you place a finger on it and turn it
deliberately.  I've knocked at it a bit with fingers and knuckles and it
just seems to stay put.  Maybe it's a more ingenious design than we think.

Yes, the new VF exhibits markedly less flare than the old one.  The M6 .85,
in particular, has a terrible problem with flare.  I wish it were possible
to have them multicoated somehow.  On the downside, the new VF does seem to
have more distortion than the original (non TTL) M6.  Vertical lines are
curved by obvious barrel distortion.

Gotta say again, though...love the new AE system and the way that the
camera's manual metering mode has not been compromised.  I wonder how well
the electronics are sealed against moisture?

- --Jim