Subject: Re: [Leica] Canada build vs German build
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:15:37 -0800 (PST)

- --- Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> wrote:

> Uh, Earth to Planet Seth?  Whether you made reference to
> me is irrelevant.
> Your original post is bunk.  I stated that Leitz never
> had a glass factory;
>  you posted, with appropriate harumphs, several citations
> that proved Leitz
> never had a glass factory.

Marc,

    I will point out, semantics is "fuzzy logic".

                       cute name       American English

Originally, Leitz was an "Institute" =     factory

                       "Laboratory"  =     factory

                        " Gmbh "     = incorporated company

    And I will also point out that producing ten metric
tons of optical glass a year is hardly research and
development.  It is production work.
    Yes, glass is dense.  But ten metric tons is a lot of
lens blanks.
    Given the size of the western European market, the
restrictions on trading with the Soviet bloc, and the
limited market for optical glass in North America, larger
production facilities would have been redundant.
    i have not had the opportunity to read any of your
books yet, so I cannot objectively comment on your
abilities as a researcher and a scholar.  But in this case
I believe you have made the wrong interpretation.