Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop playing
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:29:39 -0500

> I used to dream about something like Photoshop before it came out
> in the 70's/

Mark,

Photoshop wasn't out in the 70's...  Before Photoshop, there was a Mac
application called "Digital Darkroom", for the Mac only, by Silicon Beach
Software.  I was an tester for it.  That was 1988.  The first version of PS
came out in 1990, my beta copy is dated 1989 (version .87)...and prior to
PhotoShop (1989), it was called "BarneyScan" (believe it or not, actually it
was licensed by BarneyScan), and before that it was called "ImagePro"
(1988).

I still have my original Digital Darkroom and Photoshop (as well as Aldus
PhotoStyler) disks...probably worth putting them on eBay ;-)

Personally, I don't use PS for much...I dust spot in it.  I believe in using
my scanner application to get the setpoints and tonal curves correct.  I
also re-size the image (without interpolating) in PS...so really PS is a lot
of overkill for what I do, but all the scanner drivers and printer drivers I
use, use it as a plug-in platform, so I'm kind of stuck with it in some
version or another.

Austin