Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:08:32 -0800

But that's the whole problem as I see it. As soon as you scan a film or
photograph using a digital camera, the next step is Photoshop before
printing. Once in Photoshop, well, the urge is there and 99% of the time,
the print you are printing has been modified to where it is not
representative of the original scene.

I'm not saying that you, Tina or Ted, do this, but it is, I believe, the
general practice among a great many of the digital photography folks.

In the darkroom, I do a lot of burning, dodging, contrast mask making,
bleaching, etc., but I don't remove trees or power poles, move things
around, change color completely, etc.

I have had a transparency that was damaged, scanned, the damage repaired in
Photoshop and then printed from the fixed digital file. But no manipulation
was done other than remove the blotches that were caused by dirt that was
imbedded in the emulsion. I didn't process this transparency!

All of my very large prints are drum scan - LightJet print, but with zero
manipulation. Nada. Between the scan and the print.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] RE: Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?)
Reply from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?)