Subject: Re: [Leica] B/W digital printing options
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:53:56 -0800

Adam Bridge writes:
 > > I asked for, and eventually received a sample print made with the Cone
 > > Piezography process.  My complaint is that when I made the request, my
 > > understanding was that the process worked on relatively inexpensive Epson
 > > 3000 printers.  But the sample sent to me was printed on an Epson 7000
 > > printer, which costs something like $4000 (US).
 > >
 > > For me the whole point of the process has been lost.
 > >

 > I have a 1280 that I'm setting up with continuous feed Cone inks. So it's
 > the cost of the printer plus $1000 for that system.

I recently gave some advice to a friend who's interested in "quadtone"
printing but is a little tight on money.  The advice is based on the
observation that there are two cool things about piezography: the
small dot size (only relevant if you have a 3000) and the
What-You-See-Is-[almost]-What-You-Get aspect.

The suggestion was to start w/ a 1280, and get a set of quad/hex-tone
cartridges from MIS (either the full-spectrum or the variable tone).
Then spend some time playing with Paul Roark's workflow

  http://home1.gte.net/res0a2zt/photos.html

or one of the other workflows that MIS reports

  http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/workflow.html

If he got prints that he liked, and the workflow didn't drive him mad,
then he's set.  If, on the other hand, he wanted something simpler,
then I'd suggest springing for the piezography driver (and a Niagra
CIS).

On a related note, has anyone here used the MIS full spectrum inks?
They're intended to be a drop-in replacement for the piezography inks
(same density, similar tone) at a much lower price?

g.