Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:12:08 -0500

> Austin, please explain.  It was my understanding that "ink jet" prints did
> not have as high a d-max as wet.  Assuming paper base white is
> the same then
> the digital output should be less than wet.
>
> Don

Hi Don and Pablo,

Johnny explained it perfectly.  dMax and dMin are measurements of density,
not dynamic range.  They are entirely different.

It's the same reason that chromes, though they have a longer density range
(since they have no colored film base, their range extends from clear film
to darkest black) than negatives (whose range extends from above the film
base to darkest black)...yet negative film has a larger dynamic range
(ability to discern more tones).

Line art drawings have a very large density range...but have virtually no
dynamic range, since there are no tones between the white and the black...

Austin

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> ([Leica] Re: dMax and Dyanmic range - scanners)