Subject: RE: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:31:00 -0500

> Well, in one sense, lawyers exist because the theory is that it's
> better to
> go to court and battle rather than to beat the crap out of each
> other on the
> streets.

That's a huge leap!  All I said was I believe laws should be written, and
legal procedures set-up, such that they are clear and able to be "followed"
by a somewhat intelligent person.  They are NOT done that way today.

> Yes, the laws are ridiculously complex

And there is no need for them to be.  Law IS bureaucratic and political.

> Lawyers exist because when (like on the LUG) disagreements break
> out, simple
> intelligence as well as compassion and understanding give way to
> ego, power,
> and pettiness.

I have YET to see anyone need a lawyer to resolve anything on the LUG.
EVERY issue I have seen her HAS been resolved, without the help of a lawyer.
That is a GROSS statement of overdependence.

> Personal injury cases exist because people drive drunk and crash
> into others,
> people own vicious dogs that attack other people, people make tires that
> blow-out, cars that blow-up on minor impact and dump toxic
> chemicals and junk
> into the water that other people are attempting to drink.  In
> short, people
> do irresponsible things that hurt other people.

ALL personal injury?  Really?  What TV shows have you been watching?  SOME
personal injury cases are, of course, legitimate.  MOST are NOT, and the
awards are FAR above that of any sense.

> You really want to reduce the number
> of personal
> injury lawyers?  Then start rewiring people who think it's okay
> to do these
> kind of things--rewire people so these acts aren't done in the
> first place.

Again, this is a GROSS statement of overdependence.

<BIG snip>

SOME lawyers have their place, I have never said otherwise, but there is NO
need for so many of them, and for people to be so dependant on them for
things that should be simple.  This dependence is imposed.  Thank God the 10
Commandments weren't written by any of our present day lawmakers.

Austin