Subject: [Leica] re: leica photos in marc's backyard
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:41:56 -0500

>I posted this URL a week or so ago, but I only got one response, itself
>having nothing to do with the actual pictures. Maybe I should have put
>something in there about lawyers... Maybe I should take better photos...
>Maybe I need some friends...
>
>Anyway, I'm posting the URL again in case anyone wants to discuss
>photography - I could use some critique, comments, or just general LUG
>luvin'.
>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~attinasi/LUG/backyard/backyard.html

first, let me say that you have what appears to be a very lovely back yard.
then on to the advice (which, coming from who it's coming from, you may take
or leave as you please).

significantly shallower DOF would serve all of your subjects well, i think.
the first shot (clockwise from the left) has a distracting background. you
could blur this out in photoshop, but i'm still bothered by a portion of sky
on the upper right. what i'd do is put a black background behind it about 4
or 5 feet away and isolate the flower. second shot, same advice -- the
interesting curly thing is too closely integrated into the curly background
and comes out looking busy rather than delicate. a black background and this
lovely light i think would make your picture pop. third shot (bottom right)
is nice, but i want closer! what is that thing? there's too much not that
thing in the shot. this will justify the purchase of a macro lens to your
S.O. particularly if they are the gardener. the fourth shot, backlit pink
thingies, is your most winningest but i think it's going to be prevented
from making the calendar by those thick leaved plants in the background,
again, they're just too close to the action and too clear (too not-blurry?)
open up there and move around, see if you can get a more uniform background
in the picture.

good luck and keep shooting.

kyle

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] re: leica photos in marc's backyard)