Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica photos
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:55:07 -0800

Wow! Thanks LUG - I really appreciate the comments. Henry, Ted, Don,
Alastair, John, Kyle, Phreak, Andrew - I'm going to take a lot of your
comments back out to the yard when I get a chance. Specifically, I'll be
picking up a couple of reflectors (I have been wanting to get a pair of
those multi-colored fold-up thingies for a while). And I look forward to
doing some recommended reading too.

Kyle, your idea about using the black background is interesting - I did
not expect that kind of comment! I think I'll try it, though generally I
try to leave it all natural. I love trying new things.

The 'cones' are Pride of Madeira plants, and I get about a month each
year to try and get a nice shot of them. I'll take all of your advice
and try zooming-in, so to speak, to isolate the plants a little bit
more. It should help me get the exposure a little better too - I always
have a hard time with those backlit scenes on chromes...

The other sticky looking thing is the woody remainder of a flower from a
Morathia, a kind of Agave. The actual flower can be seen here:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=607629 (sorry, not a Leica
shot, experimenting with the Rollei).

My zoom only opens up to f4, so until I get an 80 'lux I'm going to have
to rely on other techniques to narrow the DOF. I do have a 2-element
close-up lens (Canon) that I use on the Rollei - I'll try it on the
Vario too.

Thanks again for the comments, and thanks too for the compliments on the
yard - we really do love our plants!

Cheers,
- - marc