Subject: Re: [Leica] was leica marketed as a professional camera or a hobbiest camera?
From: CHRISTOPHER.CHEN@customs.treas.gov
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:30:28 -0500

FWIW, I've read that many pros before & immediately after WWII (e.g.,
Capa, Adams, Life magazine staffers, etc.) preferred Zeiss Ikon's Contax
system as it was the high tech Canon EOS of the day (higher-performance
lenses, more on-camera features, bigger range of accessories, etc.).  My
admittedly small collection of Contax promotional literature also seems to
indicate a substantial effort on Zeiss Ikon's part to market to pros,
although they clearly aimed @ the rich amateur market, too.

Chris

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Until the M3, I don't think the pros(some exceptions we all know) were
using
>  Leica that much. 4x5 was still king for news.

Not quite. Eisenstadt for one was using screw-mount Leicas way before the
M3
and there were many others. It is true that there were still many photo
deitors who insisted on larger negatives so many pros used Rolleis and
Speed
Graphics. Now that I think about it, most of the front line photography
during the Korean police action was shot with Leica IIIf's and the early
Nikkor 50/1,4s.

Seth

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> ([Leica] Was Leica Marketed As A Professional Camera Or As A Hobbiest Happy-Snapper?)