Subject: Re: [Leica] was leica marketed as a professional camera or a hobb iest camera?
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:58:59 -0600

> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002
> From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>

> ...snip...

> ...in my hometown in the 70's all the young photojournalists
> used Nikons with the huge multi-colored guitar straps for neck straps.  The
> older PJs used Rolleiflex.  Not a Leica in sight.  I bet it wasn't very
> different in most other places.

> BK

Here in Milwaukee, I think that until maybe the late sixties, The Milwaukee
Journal (which was a leader in so many areas) would supply each
photographer with a kit of Nikon F's OR Leica RF's, whichever their
preference was. I saw their staffers at our college events when I worked
for the student paper, and envied these guys with their M3's etc., which
must have solidified my love for rangefinders.  When I first got my
permanent job, I went right out and bought a mint, used M3, which is still
going strong, although it's got more character now.

Later, it became as described above.  I'd go to Wis. News Photographer
conventions, and be the only one with a Leica.  I can understand needing to
use the greater array of lenses, motors and such on the daily grind, but
these guys were attending a conference with huge motor drive bodies on
their shoulders all day long.

Alan M-R