Subject: [Leica] Re: WAS:The Canon Challenge [Macro-Micro Stuff]! no brainer!
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:39:32 -0500

Ted, you have it wrong on all accounts. This is not a "mine is better
than yours" thing. The kind of testing  Erwin does means next to nothing
in real-life situations. Erwin is the last person qualified to do such a
test. I respect Erwin's lab abilities, and what he does is important,
but too many people fail to discern that a lab test is not a field test.
I've heard people make utterly impossible remarks like, "My lens gives
my slides a slightly blue cast."  When questioned, the guy said that he
read about the color cast in a test. I don't know about you, Ted, but
with the variables in film and processing, I know I've never seen a tint
caused by a lens.

I'm going to ship Doug as many slides as I can made decent out of a 36
roll of Kodachrome using the macro subjects I find around me. I will try
to use common subjects like leaves, bark, etc., under daylight
conditions.  Doug has experience he can call upon to help him judge the
slides. No one is asking him to tell us which lens is "better", merely
to tell us if he can see a difference that is inherent to the lenses. I
want to make it clear that this is NOT an argument, but an enquire.

Allan

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: WAS:The Canon Challenge [Macro-Micro Stuff]! no brainer!)