Subject: RE: [Leica] digilux?
From: "Wade Heninger" <heninger@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:42:19 -0800

> As much as I love Leica, I simply do not see the rationale for
spending the
> extra money on a Digilux compared to whatever Fuji model the Digilux
is a
> rebadged copy of. Leica's competitive advantage is in optics and
analogue
> cameras; if I were shopping for a digital camera I would look to the
> Japanese brands.

Previous to this model, I would have agreed with you.

However, there are several things on this camera that might tip me to
leica from n*kon.

1. Focus ring. Buttons for manual focus suck suck suck. Ok, the
Panasonic has this too.
2. lag enhancements.  From what I've read, the leica (not sure if the
Panasonic has this too) has been optimized for the second biggest
complaint of digicams (after quality/dynamic range): responsivity.

I'm watching this camera carefully.  While it still isn't close to what
I'd like in hardware (that being, of course, a M6/7 or Hexar), it is
closer than the current crop.  All it really needs is a faster lens as
low-light performance has been a bugaboo of digital cameras too.

wade heninger | photography
http://home.earthlink.net/~heninger/photography.html