Subject: [Leica] Flash trigger voltages (was: Metz 40-Mz on R8) now with R8 voltage
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:13:23 -0800

> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:37:56 -0800
> From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
> Subject: [Leica] > Message-ID: <E16rV9K-000JAx-00@mail.islandnet.com>

<snip>

> I can find nothing about the maximum allowable trigger voltage in any of
my
> instruction manuals; but I am given to understand that anything 12 Volts
> and under is fine with the R8.

Damn.  I was just breezing by this thread, but good thing I looked a bit
more.  I have lots of old flash units that I have yet to mount on my R8.
Good thing I didn't.

Quoting from the R8 manual: "All flash units and studio flash systems, that
are in accordance with the ISO standard 10330 and have a maximum ignition
voltage of 24V, can be attached to the Leica R8"

I did purchase a new Metz flash and have use it.  This got me looking so I
tested my old flashes.

My workhorse small flash: Braun 2000/28BVC clocks in at 10.0 volts
My Vivitar ring light Macroflash 5000 clocks in at 3.0 volts
My workhorse large flash: Sunpak 611 has a hard time with the meter.  It
keeps flashing.  I did get one reading of around 30 volts, but I can't seem
to repeat it.  Good thing I didn't use this flash.  I'll have to get an
adapter for it.

I have a Sunpak 311 with a damaged PC cord (works on hot shoe) and a Rollei
flash at school I'll have to test after spring break.  I've been loaning
them out to the kids.  Good thing they have been using older cameras.

Great informative thread.

Aram