Subject: RE:[Leica] Dumb Question time...
From: John Bohner <johnbohner@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 07:01:08 -0800

According to the manual, The R8's meter will stay on for 14 seconds if the
shutter release has been lightly depressed and the the film has been
advanced. Mine seems to shut off quicker.  If the film has not been
advanced it goes off as soon as you release the shutter button.  Of course
if you keep your finger on the button it stays on. So if the meter is on
and you put it in a bag that can bump the shutter release from time to
time.....
FWIW my R8 is still running on its original batteries after 18 months and
perhaps 60 rolls of film icluding 4 vacations and a photo expedition to
Death Valley. I try to remember to turn it off but I'm not always that
diligent. I do have a spare set of batteries in the bag though.

John Bohner
whose Leica gallery is at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~johnbohner/analog/paw/index.htm