Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:31:41 +1000

>It's a very limited system
>It has a limited range of lenses
>It has a limited range of shutter speeds
>It has a 2FPS winder and no motor drive
>It has no focus assist
>It is impossible to do macro work with it.
>What do you want from me?
>
>OK..
>It's an incredibly useful and versatile system!!!!
>I use it to take pictures of pet rabbit Andy.
>Happy?
>Javier

No need to get too heated ;-) For me, the M is the most versatile of
my cameras, and the one I use more often than anything else. For me,
the M would be the last camera I would sell  -- if I could ever bring
myself to sell anything ;-) I have to dispute the above:

"limited": certainly not by imagination or reputation. Some of the
finest images of the last century were taken with this system. When
mixed with the second hand market, its also one of the broadest
systems, with microscope attachments, copy stands etc etc
"range of lenes": well not really, what other system can bolt on
anything from 12 to 800mm. Now I know the tele's require a visoflex,
but it can be done, and with the AE function of the M7, it may almost
be "easy"
"shutter speeds": Lowish by today's standards, but not a complete put
down. My Rollei's remain useful as do the Blad's, and they are
limited even further. Choice of film etc is a usual fix
"winders": yeah, if you want winders. Tom's rapid winder seems to
satisfy most of those who use it
"focus assist": its the central patch. You match the two images, and
it "automatically" assists you to chose the correct distance ;-)
"macro": see visoflex and microscope systems. M users have been
taking close ups longer than most SLR's have existed. Admittedly its
not "point and shoot", but certainly not impossible
"what do I want from you": nothing really
"happy": yes ;-) I work hard on not being unhappy thanks and

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com