Subject: RE: [Leica] Printing C-41 black/white
From: "Leica Boy" <leica@chang-sang.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:42:25 -0500

Adam,

Many C-41 B&W films (Ilford XP2, Kodak T400CN, Kodak Portra 400 BW) are
scanned as "color negative" film in many of todays film scanners.  This is
so the scanner's CCD and software know how to interpolate my film (that's my
understanding at least, if I'm wrong, please correct me accordingly).

If you try to scan C-41 B&W as 8 or 16 bit Grayscale, the image usually does
not produce what you would expect from a B&W image. If memory serves me
correctly, you'd end up with this horrid looking image that's no where close
to the actual image on the neg.

Contact me off list if you want or need a sample of both.

Cheers,
Dave