Subject: Re: [Leica] Whoever invented the Metz 54 MZ-3 reflection screen should be fired
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:03:35 -0700 (PDT)

My problem is the less than ideal exposure. I got it
for the zoom coverage to be able to handle all the
lens from 21 to 90mm. However, in all instances with
both the M6-TTL and the R6.2 coupled with the
dedicated modules SCA 3502 and SCA 351, they all
result in under exposure of about 1 stop. This happens
in both TTL as well as auto modes. The funny thing is
that using manual with full power, the reading from my
Sekonic meter is correct!!!. So the irony is that I
get better exposure using MANUAL. Now I can compensate
that with +1 EV, but that's really robbing Peter to
pay Paul because in difficult situations I have to
dial in +2 to +3 when shooting a black subject against
a white background; then by adding bounce, it further
lessens the power, turning it into a very whimpy
flash. The bottom line is the 54 Metz with all the
bells and whistles cannot be practically used because
I can only trust the MANUAL mode. Yes, its expensive
and having gone through all the trouble of further
getting all the dedicated modules, the result is less
than satisfactory. Had I known, I would have gotten a
cheaper, more power, perfectly functional "Manual"
flash.
Caution guys. I should have known when Metz offer the
free module when I got it....and now I guess they ran
out of the modules and is offering a $60 rebate.