Subject: Re: [Leica] full time photogs
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:25:23 -0400

At 12:49 PM 4/8/02 -0700, you wrote:
>2.  That most working photographers must use less expensive
>equipment because they are not paid well enough to amortize
>anything as expensive as Leica.  This is meant for those
>whose employer does not furnish their gear.
>
>    Larry Burrows told me his Leicas were sent to Hong Kong
>for a complete stripdown and cleaning on a MONTHLY basis.
>He was carrying five Leicas and two Nikons on the day I met
>him.  I am also sure that because of his fame and
>  "connections" he received his equipment for much lower
>prices than you or I would have been offered.
>
>     One friend was carrying a FTn and 50~300 zoom when they
>drove into an ambush.  He dove into a ditch full of water,
>mud, algae and probably shit RATHER THAN GET SHOT.  I will
>leave the shape of the camera and lens to your imagination.

Well, my employer doesn't furnish my gear.  Or I guess I do, since I am
self-employed.

I use only Leicas - mostly M6's.  I use them because I can drop them in a
river or in knee deep mud, wash them out, dry them and continue using
them.  I can use them in the rainy season in Central America and not worry
about a deluge of rain frying the electronics.  I can use them for weeks at
a time with no batteries.  I can use them in dark, small, smoky adobe homes
and the shutter is quiet enough that everyone forgets that I am taking
photographs.  I can rewind them quietly when conversation covers the sound
of the film slipping back through the camera.  I can take pictures by
candlelight with the Noctilux.

I send the cameras in for cleaning if they quit working or if I notice
rusty spots.  I am on the Leica professional list, but I get no special
prices - just expedited returns.

I can't afford not to carry Leicas.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP