Subject: [Leica] RE: digital grain
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:37:08 -0700

The way you do it in film, using an enlarger, is rap your enlarger head
with your hand during your exposure. The enlarger must shake for roughly
10% to 20% of the total exposure. This is called "shaking the grain out."

And as soon as you stop laughing... this is no joke!

The exposure is long enough for the sharp image to register but the edge is
taken off of that oh so gritty grain. It's like a Softar filter without the
filter. The image still looks sharp but the fine detail (grain edge effect)
is smoothed over.

This is an old technique used back in the 20's and 30's. Maybe even the
40's. I learned about it while at Brooks Institute from Boris Dobro, an old
European (German I think) who was old when I was there in 1959-61. Maybe I
was just young... 21.

:)

Jim

Replies: Reply from "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: digital grain)