Subject: [Leica] was full time photogs: NOW going digital
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:37:33 -02-30

At 09:23 PM 08/04/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Why bother switching if what you are using works? It is the resulting
>images that count, not the process(es) to make them. I plan on using Tri-X
>for a long time as it works for me too.
>
>John Collier

For pros, its just a matter of economics and the needs of the client.

I doubt I would ever go digital for my personal work or "serious" work but
the reality is that most of my stock and assignment clients are now willing
to take digital. It "will do" and they don't have to deal with shipping,
holding and returning original chrome.

 From an business/economic perspective, once your film and processing
expenses reach the cost of a digital camera and the attendant computer gear
it becomes a "no-brainer"... as my daughter says.

At my last (and only) staff job as a newspaper photo editor we had a
film-chemistry of $50,000.00 (and always rising) per year for 3
photographers. Once camera costs got down under $10,000 per unit we could
supply each photographer with a camera and laptop for that $50,000.  (we
already had the lenses and computer/storage to handle the digital images as
we had been scanning pix for a couple of years already)

The BIG shock with professional grade digital cameras is the repair
costs....especially the Kodak hybrids.
I have seen repair bills range from a minimum of $1500.00 and as high as
$15,000.

...THAT is a very expensive disposable camera.

Alas, after 20 plus years I too am in the process of considering going
digital for a majority of my day to day commercial work. My estimates are
$15,000.00 in film and processing annually for the work that could be do
digital so at current camera costs the price of the camera would be covered
in 6 months.

Of course, I hoping the accountants on the list will elaborate on the
economics of this and the finer points I may be missing.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
www.greglocke.com
PictureDesk International ...news pictures ONLINE!
http://www.pdiphotos.com