Subject: RE: [Leica] Telyt 280 F4.8
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:55:55 -0400

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net>

> I have been offered this lens at a good price.... but it is only the lens
> head.....with focusing helix. for mounting to a visoflex.
>
> This a 4 air spaced element Lens.  Is it as  super duper a lens in quality,
> as the 400mm F5.6/6.8 and 560mm F5.6/6.8 have been touted?

Frank,

It depends.  The last version (viso II/III, not thread mount) is the best one.  I've used 2 samples: one flared badly when it caught a whif of sunlight and the other hardly flares at all.  The image quality is not APO but then neither are the 400mm and 560mm f/5.6 and f/6.8 telyts.  At full aperture the microcontrast isn't quite as good as the longer lenses, but image detail is excellent.  Bokeh is GREAT.  I don't know about smaller apertures 'cuz I don't go there.

I chose this lens partly for its optical quality, partly for the mechanical features, and definitely for it's non-APO price!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .