Subject: Re: [Leica] Rolleiflex relaunched
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:24:33 -0400

At 07:55 PM 4/12/02 -0600, Tim Atherton wrote:
>I didn't know they relaunched the Rolleiflex 2.8 with TTL and stuff?

The 2.8GX was introduced in August, 1987.  It has a great TTL system and
also can, with an SCA adapter, be fitted to OTF flash metering.  (The
sensors for the TTL are behind the viewing lens, so the late, and lamented,
Lief Erickson suggested that this should properly be called "TTVL".)  The
chassis is based on the Rolleiflex T.  The camera lacks the Automat film
system.

The 2.8GX changed over from Deckel Compur to Seikosha and Copal shutters in
1995 when Gauthier ran out of the Compurs.  The taking lens is a
Braunschweig-made 2.8/80 Planar with HFT coatings;  the design is identical
to all other f/2.8 Planars used on the big Rolleiflexes.

During 2001, the GX was phased out of production and replaced by the 2.8FX,
pretty much the same save that it uses the older scissor-style strap
attachments.

A neat camera, and I use mine more than I use my M6.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!