Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/2.8 Elmar Collapsible
From: DBaker9128@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 01:32:11 EDT

Jeffery wrote about the 50 Elmar-M:
"What do y'all think about this lens? Mine seems to have very nice
contrast and is capable of transmitting rich, saturated colors. I'm not
too sure of its sharpness simply because the subject matter has
been...soft."

I been using my (chrome) Elmar-M for a little over a year. I think it is a
great lens with a classic look and very well made! It is tack sharp in
close-ups and in direct runs against my Contax G 45mm Planar it is comparable
in resolution and contrast at the common apertures I have tested at; 2.8,
4.0, & 5.6. There is no distinct corner darkening even wide open. I really
like the ergonomics of the lens, the gap between the focusing ring and the
aperture ring clues my finger locations on the lens barrel quickly.
You know, there is something elegant about a lens which uses only four glass
elements to achieve comparable performance of other lenses which need five or
six pieces of glass to get the job done.

Doug from Tumwater