Subject: RE: [Leica] Trouble with loading M-6 (and Voigtlander Ultron 28MM)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:43:59 -0400

> > How is the leader going to be taken up if you haven't wound the
> film at all?
>
> The tulip grabs the film because the basket forces the petals closed. You
> don't need to wind at all. In fact, trying to wind with the bottom open is
> the commonest cause of jams. It's natural to want to see the film start to
> be taken up, as you do on a manual load SLR, but it's a recipe
> for disaster.
> --
> John Brownlow

Johnny,

Take the bottom off your camera and look for your self.  The basket does not
force the petals closed, at least on my M6.  Leave the film back open,
advance until you can see one of the slits, put the bottom on, and see that
there is no compression to the slit in the petal.

BTW, I never suggested winding with the bottom off...my comment was that
AFTER putting the bottom on, release shutter/advance until 0, then if you
must, then check the tension using the rewind knob.  What good does it do to
check the tension if the film isn't wrapped around the take-up spool!

Personally, after loading (paying attention to the sprockets and
perforations, and that the film is in the take-up spool) I usually just
watch the rewind knob turn when I wind to 0...

Regards,

Austin