Subject: Re: [Leica] Flying with fiim
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:51:51 -0700

On 4/14/02 Margaret Jeffcoat  wrote:

>BD, I wonder what the x-ray machines will do to smart cards and the like-any
>information on the safety with them and micro drives.
>cheers Wilber

It's never been clear to me just what an X-Ray machine would do to a
micro-drive. The storage medium is magnetic. Even if there are massive magnetic
fields around the drive-motors, the magnetic field would not be sufficient to
over-write the drive. The fields on those heads, which fly microns from the
platter, are VERY strong. I've never had a problem with any disk drive when I
travel.

I've not had problems with card memory either although I have far fewer
experiences with those than with small disk drives.

Adam