Subject: Re: [Leica] Sam Maloof and RF Flare
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:16:14 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:
> First the unmitigated woodworking gloat:  Sam Maloof had

    If you ever have the occasion to travel to or through
northern Illinois, be sure to reward yourself with a trip
to Rockford to see and tour the "Tinker Swiss Cottage".
    If memory serves me correctly, it was built shortly
after the Civil War.  Tinker was a Scots accountant who
came to America to seek his fortune.  When the civil war
draft started he took off to Europe for the grand tour.
When he returned, he made his fortune the old fashioned
way.  He married the boss's widow!
    But I digress.  The interior of the house has some of
the most beautiful hand crafted woodwork you will ever
find.
Included is a bannister for a circular stairway that was
steamed and bent from a single piece of wood!
    During that period of time Rockford was in the center
of hundreds of square miles of virgin hardwood forrest.  It
became a major furniture manufacturing center.