Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:06:44 -0600

I agree Tim but not because the photography is of indifferent quality.
NG has a narrow market and has a certain style they consistently use.
This results in an deluge of very similar images; even right down to
colour emphasis. Naturally to anyone who is visually acute, this becomes
boring quickly. Imagine a display of a thousand variations of Van Gogh
"Starry Starry Night" and you see what I mean.

I read quite a few bicycle magazines in the course of the year and have
become quite jaded to new bicycle imagery. A new magazine called "Bike"
hit the stands several years back and all the imagery was new and fresh.
It was all very exciting and I used to pester my news agent for each new
issue. It is still going and the photography is still a big step above
everything else out there but it all blurs together now.

How professionals and artists can stay fresh with all that repetition is
beyond me. Of course they do not. Very few professionals/artists have a
consistent strong body of work over their whole working life. There are
a few notable exceptions but only a few.

John Collier