Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Re: [OT] Color darkroom worth it?
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:28:00 -0400

olivier nguyen <oliviertnguyen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> how much is it cost you to built a cibachrome darkroom?

it was so long ago that any prices I might have remembered are dated anyway.

> equipment for digital ain't cheap at all.  for a good scanner, it cost
> about 3K.  a good printer, it cost another 3K+ .  a good computer to
> handle a big files would cost about 5K minimum.

<snip>

> beside all of these spend, it probably not good print comeout due to
> limitation of computer technology and too much of variation factor between
> computer software, computer hardware, computer monitor, printer, scanner
> and camera.

It doesn't have to be expensive.  The computer I'm using for Photoshop was kit-bashed from a couple of old PowerMac 8500's that were given to me (traded for a couple of digital prints, actually) by one of our lurking LUGgers.  If he decides to de-cloak he can tell you what he thinks of the prints.  I added a ZIP drive and some RAM for $300, and a refurbished Epson 700 for another $99.  My scans are from a variety of sources: a free used HP Photosmart (thanks LUG) with Vuescan software ($40) or when this isn't adequate a $10 scan from a local minilab's Fuji Frontier will do quite well.  As a last resort I wait for West Coast Imaging's sales on drum scans ($32) which are far better than I can make with a desktop scanner.

I work with files up to 150mb with this setup.  It's slow but I'm extremely pleased with the prints.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .