Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Scanning Scala
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:44:38 -0300

Karina:

I just tried some Scala too.  The problem is it is very dense in the
shadows and your scanner in not up to the task.  The darker areas aer tough
for all but the best scanners.  I used a Polaroid 35plus which has a Dmax
of 3.6 and it would work fine on pictures taken in the daylight and
properly exposed, but night pictures or slightly underexposed pictures do
not scan well.  I think the Canon has a Dmax of 3, which is even worse than
my scanner.  I am thinking about getting the Polaroid 4000 Plus, which has
a Dmax of 4.6.

Scala at 200 and properly esposed:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Paris/BW/pages/GordonInRain.htm

Scala at 800:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Paris/BW/pages/GirlsCrossing.htm

The last image, shot at night, did not scan well.  When projected, you can
see the fibres in their jeans and details in their black jackets.

Regards,

Robert