Subject: Re: [Leica] Flowers And Lighting
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:21:29 -0700

Mike,

I tend to equate photographing flowers to cooking eggs or fish. All three
are delicate and require special treatment.
Very seldom would I use strobes. Whether in the field or studio, I prefer
lighting whose effect  I can preview in the camera.

Most flowers benefit from cross lighting to show texture and to separate
them for the background for pictorial rendering. The transparency of an
orchid would be best rendered with back lighting. For analytical study such
as botanical papers, the ring flash will do.

If you can soften the effect of the flash - and preview the results, then
flash will work just fine.
Flash is a little harder to control than diffusion and reflectors outdoors
or tungsten lighting in the studio.

Cheers,

Joseph Codispoti
San Luis Obispo, CA