Subject: Re: [Leica] Remembrance day
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:04:28 -0700

I believe it was 1600, which I usually rate at 800. The negs are at the
studio, and as I've been flipping back and forth between the 400, rated
at 200, and the 1600 I can't recall.
The "are your paper in order" mind set was still in its infancy then,
particularly in the rural areas. But I have a feeling that recruiters
were turning a blind eye to the age factor. I had a friend years ago who
told me he was sent in by his adoptive family at 15. They lied about his
age, as they could no longer countenance and handle him. He was one of
those native-american babies that white folks had a yen for back then,
when they couldn't have one of their own.  He hadn't yet reached 18 when
the war was over.
On the other hand,  it beggars the question on how much of that early
enlistment in the CA southland was driven by the aftermath of the Zoot
Suit Riots.
Slobodan Dimitrov

Message from "Christopher Williams" <LeicaChris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Remembrance day)