Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: David Hamilton
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:59:30 -0800

>Is David Hamilton still working?  Gosh, his photographs take me back to me
>teenage years - I admired them then.
>(Also remember seeing Bilitis).
>
>Karina

I saw "Bilitis" too, which sent me to the book ("Les Chansons de Bilitis"
by Pierre Lou˙s), which is a wonderful collection of pseudo-Sapphic prose
poems by a supposed contemporary of that most famous of Lesbian lyric
poets. Lou˙s claimed to have unearthed the poems during an archeological
dig in a 6th c. BC tomb in Greece, later translating them and publishing
them in France. He fooled scholars, who believed his tale, later
embarrassing them when he admited that he was the real author of the poems
in question.

Debussy set some of them to music, twice: three of them for soprano and
solo piano, then thirteen of them to be read by an actress accompanied by a
small ensemble of two flutes, two harps + celeste. (Actually, the latter
piece was completed by Boulez; Debussy died before finishing it.)

Ah, never underestimate the inspirational might of long dead Lesbian poets!

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Karina Klaas" <shutterbug@iinet.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: David Hamilton)
Message from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: friday fs prints: colleen in the alley)