Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Color vs B&W
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:57:03 -0700

Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:

>>>     Ted, used Eddie Adams "Street Corner Execution" as an example.
>     Well, what about the color work of the late Larry Burrows of LIFE? It
> had the same dramatic chilling effect as B&W.<<<

Hi Sal,

How true on Larry Burrows!. His colour was outstanding from 'Nam creating
many memorable photographs. He was the exception!

>>>     For the hobbyist, it is strictly a personal choice. for those of us
who
> earn our living from photography, most often, someone else (the person
> paying the bill) decides if they want color or B&W.<<<<

Absolutely. And in reality my income for much of the career was created by
shooting colour because the agency / magazine or whatever client wanted
colour and we as professionals don't argue with the folks putting the
cheques on the table. Nor did we tell them we thought they were idiots, this
topic will be far more powerful in B&W. :-)

I always tell photographers, pros and amateurs, they should have a self
project shooting a subject they enjoy and shooting in whatever film medium
they're most comfortable with.  Especially pros, as it can be invigorating
and challenging helping the creative seeing flowing and keep the burnout
effect at bay. Or make you a happier one. ;-)

I explain having a shoot for yourself is the best medicine a photographer
can have. As there is only you to satisfy in the quality of the photography,
it's yours and yours alone without any satisfying some visually challenged
editor. ;-) True, they are out there, the school taught kind and everything
by the book. They don't have a free flowing natural creative bone in their
bodies! :-)

Oh well I better stay away from that one. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant