Subject: [Leica] LUG etiquette
From: pmjensen <pmjensen@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 02 08:44:10 -0700

>I don't think one-liners and retorts, in general, bring value to a group
>like the LUG. This is not a place for being witty unless you can make your
>wit be visual or prosaic[ed.???]. Snappy comebacks, 10-word repartee, and
>wisecracks do not seem to me to be something to encourage here.

Brian, there's a lot to be said for concision.  :> (ta-dum)

*

Seriously, though, you "allow" extended, repeated, almost predictable
angry, rude diatribes and personal attacks by the same predictably angry,
rude, socially immature regular posters and yet you feel strongly enough
about attempts at brief wit to post an admonition? What am I missing here?

I don't post much, and I certainly don't understand lists enough to have
expectations about what they OUGHT to be, but I do know that I've spent
considerable time composing a few posts on Leica-related photography and
they've generated virtually no response. There seems to be no overt
relationship between length (or effort expended) and value to the LUG
community, at least not so far as I can tell. Nor is there, apparently, a
relationship between experience or skill with a camera (as evidenced by
the quality of pictures produced) and the number, length, or quality of
messages posted. In other words, to be blunt, there are some pretty
mediocre photographers posting with great certainty of opinion. Again
though, not at all disingenuously, I definitely don't understand lists
enough to have expectations about what they OUGHT to be. The LUG may be
the best there is, the Leica of lists.

Not to be too defensive here - since you weren't necessarily referring to
me - but I am "guilty" of a few short, pointed posts that were correcting
those who, I thought, were copping an attitude in their own posts
(correcting others). It's a form of communal self-policing in lieu of
more formal policing; it, hopefully, helps motivate people to think twice
before correcting (or insulting) others. You're a lot more tolerant of
angry "debate" than some of the rest of us. I'm offended by much of
what's posted here, but I'd prefer to light a single candle than curse
the darkness: a peace demonstration of one (how trite! :)).

What am I missing?

- ---Peter