Subject: [Leica] My Afternoon with Victor
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:21:55 -0600

Having met Victor Wek for the first time last week at McBain's Leica
Day, I was eager to continue our discussions. Fortunately he politely
accepted an invitation to tea at my   happy home perched above the North
Saskatchewan River. Actually, the truth be told, remarkably few houses
in Edmonton, happy or otherwise, are under it.

We exchanged more Leica and Leica-User gossip from near and afar and did
our own version of Leica stacking; more like Leica sifting what with the
way things were scattered about. I am reasonably sure that more than a
few lens caps ended up in a close embrace with lenses they were not even
on speaking terms with that morning.

He once again submitted my 35/1.4A to myriad of exposures, I think he is
weakening, and I got to try out an early E58 Noctilux. I am rather
surprised to be saying this but the Noctilux is actually quite a compact
lens. Well at least the E58 version is. I certainly have never felt the
same way about the new E60 version with the built in hood. I
unfortunately took a few exposures at f/1 and fully expect to be soon
selling my body on the streets to fund another must have lens.

He introduced me to his Nikon FM2-T with a 65 Elmar and adapters mounted
on it and I showed him his first Visoflex. Why at one point a 135 Hektor
was brandished about with intent. One might say we plumbed the depths
indeed.

We also partook in the ancient Lug ritual of Taking Each Other's
Picture. While he is one handsome devil, I would be afraid for your
children if my sorry excuse for a face ever came to light. It might even
stir up Congress to finally do something about the open moral turpitude
on the net.

All this is to say that you should make efforts to meet your fellow
Leica-Users. They are by and large a charming bunch.

John Collier