Subject: [Leica] DEPTH OF FIELD PREVIEW
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:04:03 -0700

From olivier nguyen <oliviertnguyen@hotmail.com>

>  I don't uunderstand how to use DOF preview on my nikon FM2n.  when i
press
> the lever for DOF, I see it deem down in my viewfinder.  what is this tell
me ?

Oliver,

In order to *see* the limits of depth of field, you need to train you eye to
look for it.

Try this:

1) Find a suitable scene that will show depth of field easily such as a long
picket fence.
2) Stand at an angle to the fence.
3) Set the lens at its maximum opening (choose a standard or medium tele
lens).
4) Focus on at a point on the fence about 10 feet away.
5) If you are at an angle to the fence you will notice that what you focused
on, and very little else, is in focus.
6) Activate the preview feature and close the lens slowly observing the
change in depth of field. As you close the lens, more of the fence will
appear in focus.
The field will darken as you close the lens, but, with a little practice,
you will still be able to determine what is in focus and what is not.

Best,
Joe Codispoti