Subject: [Leica] bw/colour still going
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:07:15 +0200

Well, I thought this particular thread weas dead, but BD said

I hardly think the aesthetic/artistic question of color or B&W is on a par
with GM v Ford, or "my whatever rocks, yours sucks." Although I have no idea
how your mind works. ;-)

B. D.

I have an _ethical_ objection to black and white photography, actually! Not
in terms of absolute values, but in terms of the culture of photography and
how we look at snaps. I believe that BW for historical reasons gives a
spurious guarantee of truthfulness and seriousness. Just look at the (there
aren't that many) documentary prizes/funds, like Mother Jones and Duke- -
the majority of grants are for black and white work. Colour isn't really
taken seriously - and that pisses me off!! ;-)

But really, I think BW has too much cultural baggage to be a transparent
medium, which is one reason I distrust it, myself. I think it's compromised.

I remember when I was working on "Lansdowne Road", a number of
photographers, amateur and pro, asked me if I was "at least" working in BW.
Well... I was photographing the vulgar in a vulgar medium, I guess.

One thing that I often read on the subject, is that colour is somehow an
additional element which has to be held under strict control. Well,
personally I never noticed it as something separate from the scene in front
of me. I just point the camera at what looks good to me and hit the button.
The colour is just an integral part of what and how I see, not something
that has to be accounted for/dealt with/compensated for somehow.

enough - or too much

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Tel: (+39) 059 303436

See City of Crows online at The Digital Journalist:
http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0204/city_intro.htm

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] bw/colour still going)