Subject: Re: [Leica] Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:24:38 -0700

Well, maybe the fact that film and the eye are not equivilant.  The eye can
see much more detail in shadows and highlights than can film.  The zone
system and the manipulations in the darkroom are in part to compensate for
the flim/paper's lack of dynamic range that the eye has.

Of course, one can go beyond this and emphisize things and diminish others
and I guess this is the "art" in photography.

Aram

>Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:03:04 -0700
>From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Ansel Adams on PBS TV
>
>My wife was watching and after seeing him dodging and altering the negs,
>and hearing the narrator say that the finished product was highly
>manipulated and often much different than the original subject, which if
s>een as taken might be quite plain and boring.

>She then commented, "I am disappointed.  I don't think that's right --
a>fter all, you keep telling me you wanted the Leica and that wonderful
>lens so your photos would have that beautiful glow and be truly
>representative of what you saw.  Explain this to me!"
>
>Help!!!  ;-)
>
>Ted in Olalla

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
101 W. 5th. St / P. O. Box 159